Leave the Hot Toddies at Home
From the Fortuna Police Department:
Humboldt County, CA – Heads up to holiday party-goers!
The Humboldt County DUI Avoid the 7 Task Force is announcing that officers will be aggressively looking for impaired drivers and will arrest anyone caught driving under the influence during the 19-day effort. It’s in effect from now through New Year’s Weekend.
These enforcement efforts will include:
- 1 DUI/Drivers License Checkpoint
- 6 local DUI saturation patrols
- Roving DUI patrols
- A Multi-Agency DUI Taskforce Operation
- A Warrant Service Operation
- And a Court Sting Operation
Thus far, DUI Arrests are up & DUI Fatalities remained at zero.
The CHP will also be deploying all available officers during two Maximum Enforcement Periods – Christmas and New Year’s Weekends. The special enforcement crackdown will run from December 14 through January 1, 2013.
“Lots of folks will be out during this busy holiday season,
enjoying themselves and the holiday festivities, and we want
everyone to be safe on our roadways,” said Sergeant Charles
Ellebrecht of the Humboldt County Avoid the 7 Campaign.
“That’s why we will be stepping up enforcement to catch and arrest impaired drivers. Please be forewarned. If you are caught driving impaired, you will be arrested. No warnings, no excuses,” Ellebrecht said.
“No one ever thinks that their holiday celebration will end in jail, or worse, in a hospital or the morgue,” said Eureka Police Chief Murl Harpham. “But for those who include alcohol in their celebrations and then get behind the wheel, this is too often the case,” Harpham added.
Heads Up – violators face:
- Jail time
- Loss of driver license
- Steep financial consequences such as higher insurance rates, attorney fees, court costs, lost time at work, and the potential loss of job.
- Plan ahead. If you will be drinking, do not plan on driving. Designate a sober driver or find another safe way home.
- If you are impaired, find another way home. Use a taxi, call a sober friend or family member, or use public transportation. Our local AAA is also proud to offer its Tipsy Tow program which is available Monday, December 24th from 6:00 p.m. through Tuesday, December 25th at 6:00 a.m., and again on Monday,
December 31st from 6:00 p.m. through Tuesday, January
1st at 6:00 a.m. The Tipsy Tow program is open to
everyone. You do not need to be an AAA Member to take
advantage of this service.
- Be responsible. If someone you know is drinking, do not let them get behind the wheel. If you see an impaired driver on the road, report them – call 911! Your actions may save someone’s life, or inaction could cost a life.
Media Notes: To schedule an interview regarding Anti Drunk-Driving efforts, or request a ride-along with law enforcement during the holiday period, please contact Fortuna Sergeant Charles Ellebrecht at 707-725-1445, or by email at Cellebrecht@ci.fortuna.ca.us
* * * * * *
And– if you have a drinking problem or know someone who does, there is help. Please call Alcoholics Anonymous at 442-0711 and regain life and health and the love of all things close and dear.
(Posted by Skippy Massey)